Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Navigating the Insurance World

We have been so fortunate to be able to stay on my husband's previous insurance, which is FABULOUS insurance, to say the least.  We are getting to the point though where it might be time to move on and to switch to the insurance of his current employer.

And so, the insurance saga begins ... I guess it's not quite a saga, but it is sad that alternative therapies are not usually paid for by insurance companies.  This could easily devolve into a whole health care issues post, but I will try to stay away fro that.

We spoke with Dr. Phillips about insurance and she does not participate with any insurance companies but she did offer two diagnosis codes that have worked for other patients of hers.  Then I found the group number for our new insurer and called to ask about our benefits.  Because my husband's new company is small, the insurance provider could not offer a yes or no to some specific based on their plan BUT the woman I spoke with was wonderfully helpful.

She mentioned that if she were the only type of provider (chiropractor and cranio sacral therapist) in a 30 mile radius, that we could apply for what is called a gap exception and receive coverage as though she were an in-network provider.  I'm not sure that will fly, but we can always try it.

In all of this, I have found that calling (and bothering to no end) your insurance provider is actually worth it.  Now, we'll just see how all of this pans out.

No comments:

Post a Comment